Euro-Mediterranean Information System on know-how in the water sector
Sogesid is a founding member together with OIEau (France) and CEDEX (Spain) of the EMWIS / SEMIDE Project, an international partnership cooperation programme with special regard to the Mediterranean area, aiming to create a tool for exchanging information and know-how in the Water Sector.
The project is interesting the countries of the Euro-Mediterranean Partnership - the 25 countries of the European Union and the 10 Mediterranean Partner Countries (MPC) Algeria, Egypt, Israel, Jordan, Lebanon, Morocco, Syria, Tunisia, Turkey and The Palestinian Authority.
During the First Phase of the project, that started in 1999, following objectivies were reached:
- International acceptance of EMWIS / SEMIDE
- Formation of a central Technical Unit (TU) responsible for coordinating the project, a Steering Committee and a Co-ordination Committee.
- Organisation of 20 National Focal Points (NFP)
- Publication of 15 national web sites
The Objectives for the Second Phase (2003-2005) of the project can be summarised as follows:
- Co-ordination with political structures
- Reinforcement of the National Focal Points and development of the National Water Information Systems
- Expansion and development of information services
- Promotion of the Information Portal
- Development of additional topics upon decision of the Steering Committee
- Development of MEDA–Water activities
As a member of the permanent Technical Unit, SOGESID has the responsibility for developing the Information Technology and Communication.